CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Picc Free!


106 Days later I am finally picc line free.

As much as I am grateful that I was able heal at home and enjoy the independence of not having to be in the hospital, I am SO much more grateful not to have tubes hanging out of my arm. Tubes that get stuck in the laundry machine, awkwardly hang out of clothes, must be covered with plastic wraps to shower, that keep you up worrying about infections and forbid me to jump in the pool. The list could go on. My arm is molting, a little (well alot) flabby but ready to face the summer. I really am grateful for the nurses who visited me every week, calmed my crazy worries (can I kill myself if air gets in my line? why is there blood in the tubes?!) and for the husband who woke up in stupors in the middle of the night to help me with my medicine and make sure I never missed a dose. I am grateful for nurse Cherie who kept me company at every bandage pull and of course the final exit of the purple picc. Ick. I am grateful for children who had to learn to think having a mom with tubes hanging out of her arm is actually cool and not so scary. All in all having a mom like me may teach them compassion, service and unconditional love. Sure wish I didn't have to teach them those strengths in such a way but I am sure it will make them the strongest, most amazing women. There has to be an upside to all this right?
So, if you ever know anyone with a picc who needs help injecting some drugs or just a hand to hold though the crazy process just call me, I am the picc princess!

0 comments: